The Project Files: Alex's room
It is a truth universally acknowledged that whenever you tackle a project in an old house, things don’t always go according to plan. Water leaks and snake pits lurk inside the walls (long story for another day), and cringe-worthy surprises await you beneath the carpets. In the case of Alex’s bedroom project, we found the floors to be painted with a grungy, oil-based white enamel when we pulled up the carpet. The original flooring was a soft pine, and from experience, we knew that we’d most likely end up doing more harm than good by trying to sand and strip it and that there’d be no way to get all the decades-old enamel out of the wood grain. So, we [cringing all the while] decided to paint the floor white. In the end, it all worked out.
The first step to any project is coming up with an idea board and then a budget and workable plan. Then, it’s time to roll up your sleeves and get busy!
|Tearing up the old carpet.|
|The white-painted floors we found under the carpeting.|
|It is absolutely amazing what paint will do!|
|The finished product.|